SMART CITY STRATEGY Carouge is committed to building a quality future for its inhabitants through innovation in services and their delivery. In this context, Carouge and the Canton of Geneva have actively engaged in Internet of Things deployment, with a focus on services to citizens and to satisfy the need of the economic development. CITY CHALLENGES
- Improving sustainability through more conscious energy and water consumption and use of renewable energies.
- Improving the environment through better waste management systems and street cleaning.
- Improving mobility and increasing cross-mobility.
- Improving public participation and engagement with the city
CONTRIBUTIONS OF IOT SOLUTIONS TO SOLVE THE CITY CHALLENGES The city is growing at a steady pace and may reach 30’000 habitants in the years to come. The challenges are to keep “the spirit of Carouge” and welcome and involve new citizens, to cope with the growing work of the city employees, to better serve the habitants and to respect the environment. A LoRa wan and a Wifi networks and the fiber are available to welcome any kind of IoT devices:
- A smart parking with Lora devices to better manage the parking strategy.
- Lora noise monitoring sensors to create a 3D map.
- A connected trash monitoring system to increase the recycling for SMEs